Gordon Willard Alternative Program
Philosophy of the Gordon Willard Alternative Education High School Program Our school philosophy is that education should take you from where you are to where you want to go.
"A New Direction"
- To serve students who find it extremely difficult or impossible to function in a regular high school setting.
- To provide modes of learning to fit the individual needs of students.
- To focus on a practical approach to adult living and career goals, while learning basic skills required by the State of Iowa.
- To increase students' academic, social and job skills, and to improve self-concepts.
- To allow students' input into their own curricular program as they progress toward a high school diploma.
- To expand the students' community involvement through service and educational activities.
- To provide experiential career education and work study options -- two innovative approaches that integrates academic requirements and paid work experience into a single curriculum.
Gordon Willard Alternative Education High School - The Gordon Willard Alternative Education Center is housed in the Arey Education Building. The center was developed in 1985 for students who need an alternative high school setting.